How to successfully apply for a Bildungsgutschein and learn to code for free
Code Lab Academy’s bootcamps have officially been certified to be funded with an education voucher in Germany!
If you are a German resident eligible for the voucher, that means you can start building your tech skills for free in any of our part-time or full-time bootcamps.
Since our bootcamps are fully remote, you can learn from anywhere within Germany. Just bring your laptop with you and you can keep learning how to code from the train, hostel, or anywhere with good Wi-Fi.
We’ll cover all the information you need to know in order to take advantage of this opportunity in this article.
What is a Bildungsgutschein?
A Bildungsgutschein is an educational voucher provided by the employment agency/Jobcenter issued to people who are unemployed (or soon to be unemployed). This voucher covers all costs for further training to help people get a job quicker and tackle unemployment.
Only institutions that have passed a rigorous certification process are allowed to accept a Bildungsgutschien. Code Labs Academy is proudly certified and therefore all our bootcamps are not only accessible this way, but have also been quality checked!
Who can apply for the Bildungsgutschein?
The minimum requirements to be eligible for a Bildungsgutschein are:
Registered as a German resident: whether you’re a German citizen or a foreigner living in Germany, you must have an Anmeldebescheinigung (registration certificate AKA a proof of address).
Fall into one of these categories:
- Receiving Unemployment Benefits- If you’re currently receiving Arbeitslosengeld I (unemployment benefits), you can also apply for a Bildunsgutschein to help you get a new job.
- Facing Imminent Unemployment- If your current job contract will expire soon, or you’ve been told your job is at risk of redundancy, you may also be granted a Bildunsgutschein. However, you must have worked and paid taxes at least one year in order to be eligible for the Bildungsgutschein.
What is the process for applying for Bildungsgutschein?
- Make sure you’re registered at the Agentur für Arbeit or Jobcenter either as unemployed or an advice seeker.
- Book a consultation appointment online at your local Agentur für Arbeit or Jobcenter, call 0800 4 555500, or visit your local office in person.
- Apply for one of our bootcamps before your appointment at the Jobcenter - 4. Schedule a meeting with us and we’ll provide you with a helpful Info Pack and information you need to know about our bootcamps.
- Attend your appointment at the Agency or Jobcenter ready to make a good case for why a bootcamp with CLA is right for your career goals.
- Once you’ve been granted your voucher, contact us with the good news! We’ll sign your voucher to return to your agent and send you our Participant contract to officially sign up as a CLA participant.
How to Prepare for your Appointment at the Jobcenter
It’s important to know that the Jobcenter is not legally obliged to grant you your Bildungsgutschein, each case is decided individually. This is why you need to come prepared to present good reasons why taking a CLA bootcamp will help you in your career.
Before your Job Center appointment, make sure to send in your bootcamp application and schedule a meeting with us. In the meeting, we’ll answer any questions you have about the course and provide specific details about our bootcamp that you can connect to your career goals.
No matter what your situation is, it’s a good idea to come prepared with employment statistics about how there is a big demand for tech industry workers in Germany, and even some job ads for roles you could apply to after your bootcamp.
Here’s a checklist for what to bring on the day of your appointment:
- [ ] Personal ID (passport or ID card)
- [ ] Proof of German residence (Anmeldebescheinigung)
- [ ] A recently updated CV
- [ ] Any diplomas or certificates you’ve earned
- [ ] A motivation letter explaining why you want to do the bootcamp and how it will help you find a job
- [ ] CLA bootcamp syllabus and proposal (provided by CLA)
- [ ] A list of open job positions that are suitable after completing the bootcamp
- [ ] A German-speaking friend or translator (in case you don’t speak it well)
Do I have to be in Berlin to take a Code Labs Academy bootcamp with the Bildungsgutschein?
All of our remote courses are certified, which means that you can take it from anywhere in Germany! You won’t be restricted to one place while taking your bootcamp, just toss your laptop and some headphones into your backpack and you can keep learning from anywhere within Germany.
The best part is that with our remote bootcamps, you still get the advantages of live teaching, one-to-one office hours, and personalised career coaching sessions.
The community spirit of working with your fellow classmates is also maintained through a discord server where you can connect with your cohort and also past CLA students!
Where to Begin?
If you’re ready to sign up you can apply here and we’ll be in touch with you ASAP!
We’d love to be the start of your new career in tech!